Childhood Lead Program
Lead Screening, Testing & Follow Up
Lead testing for children is by appointment. Please call (618)283-1044 to schedule an appointment. The charge is $30.00 for a finger stick and venous
blood test (medical card and private insurance accepted).
Many children are exposed to lead. Lead is a toxic chemical; no safe level of lead in the body has been determined. childhood lead poisoning is a
preventable pediatric health problem. Children are particularly susceptible to lead's toxic effects. Because evidence shows adverse effects at low blood
lead levels (BLL), the U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) has changed the definition of lead poisoning. A BLL > 10 mcg/dl is
considered lead poisoning.
The Health Department provides comprehensive intervention which includes:
- Education and counseling
- Referral for medical evaluation
- Referral for environmental investigation and remediation
- Assessment of the home and sources of lead exposure by public health nurse
- Assessment of growth and development
- Follow-up of lead results until 2 readings are below 10